Wednesday 13 March 2024

Baby's First BreyerFest Diorama

 So my Breyer collection only began last summer, on my first holiday to see my family in the US in about 11 years. I'd heard of Breyer before, and I'd always collected horse related ornaments and things, but I'd never seen a Breyer model in person before. I'm pretty sure my only knowledge of them came from the posts that the algorithm decides must grace your feed while scrolling Instagram...

I'll tell the full story of finding my first Breyers another time, but the thing I want to talk about today is Breyerfest! Thanks to the terrible awfulness of Covid, it's now a hybrid event, which means this broke Brit can attend online! Hell yeah! My tickets are ready, I've booked my time off work, I've been checking the Breyerfest Blog daily, and I'm just about set on my Special Run and Limited Edition wishlist. 

It was the announcement of the diorama contest that really hooked me though. I love getting crafty, I always have at least a couple different projects of some description on the go, and something about the concept of horse dioramas just immediately tickled my brain. I'll admit, 'Pop Culture That Pops' is a pretty broad theme title, but I came up with enough ideas that me and my coworker, E, couldn't stop giggling about that I just had to jump in! 

Abandoned diorama ideas include; Barbie and Ken ponies on rollerblades, Beatles ponies crossing Abbey Road, Jack the Ripper crime scene and detective ponies (until I realised that's more than 100 years ago, and also not family friendly as per contest guidelines,  oops), and that one scene burned into my mind from Lord of the Rings with all the pretty horses running across a river or something. (I've seen them all twice. I still only remember that one shot of those gorgeous horses. ) 

I don't know what the usual thing is with these diorama contests, but I'm going to try and document the making of, since my coworkers are all very curious about my ridiculous project, and I'll probably post that stuff after the deadline has passed. Suffice to say, Breyerfest has turned into a hyperfocus on a very niche diorama, and all the things that I need to learn to do instead of just assuming I can with unfounded confidence. At least until the online workshop timetable gets announced...

In the meantime, I'll go back to cutting up cardboard and buying so many teeny tiny supplies and hoping I can figure out how to use Milliput to customise models...something I've never done before...


Until next time

L x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Introductions: Eira

I thought I'd start my herd introductions with Eira,  my one and only unicorn from Breyer (so far!). She's the Christmas unicorn orn...